Skate It or Hang It!? will be held at the Museum of Design Atlanta (MODA) from June 16, 2012 to September 16, 2012.
The exhibition, curated by W. Todd Vaught, will examine the visual aspects skateboarding, a sport important to contemporary youth culture since the 1970s, by presenting a broad range of styles, imagery, and visual expression in skateboard art.
With a broad focus on skateboard graphics—in particular the styles and methods used to embellish skateboard decks—the exhibition will appeal to a broad range of skateboarders, designers, artists and to Atlanta’s youth in general.
Visitors will come to understand skateboard graphics in a variety of ways, as Skate It or Hang It!? will include:
- Skate Peachtree, an opening day celebration to be held on June 16 (for more information, download the press release) including a skate parade, a skate demonstration, artist appearances, and an after party at the W Midtown
- A survey of skateboard art from the 1970s to the present day
- Original installations by Atlanta-based artists influenced by skateboard art such as Alex Brewer aka HENSE and Charlie Owens
- Educational activities in which children are invited to design and create their own skateboard decks
- Interviews with VCJ and Jim Phillips, along with personal appearances and art by Sean Cliver, Andy Howell, Wes Humpston, Lance Mountain, Michael Sieben, and Steve Olson
- An exhibition demonstrating the steps by which skateboard decks are fabricated
- A 9 foot interactive skateboard sticker exhibition
- Skate demo and prize jam at Brook Run Skatepark in Dunwoody on June 21, National Go Skateboarding Day
- Skate Art Jam at Shops Around Lenox on July 4