MODA is always looking for engaged and reliable volunteers. For more information, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Camp Counselor for campMODA
The Museum of Design Atlanta seeks camp counselors for summer of 2017 to help lead innovative STEM and STEAM-related camps. Counselors must be at least 14 years of age, and enjoy working with children. Counselors must also have related knowledge or experience in campMODA 2017 subject matter.
Our camps* are located at four locations. Each camp takes place over the course of a week (Monday-Friday) and counselors must be available to work the entire week, as well as attend training sessions beginning in March. Camp sessions begin on May 29 and run through July 28.
- Arduino Maker Camp for grades 4-7 is held at the Museum of Design Atlanta. Work hours are from 8:30 am to 1:00pm.
- Robot Revolution: Design-Build Challenges with LEGO Robotics for grades 3-7 is offered at the Georgia Tech College of Design and the Lovett School. Work hours are from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm.
- Pet Project: Designing and Prototyping for Animals in Need for grades 6-9 is offered at the Georgia Tech College of Design. Work hours are from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm.
- Making with WeDos, littleBits, and LEGOs for grades K-2 is offered at First Presbyterian Preschool. Work hours are from 8:30 am to 1:00 pm.
- Claymation: Adventures in Animation for grades 2-4 is held at the Museum of Design Atlanta. Work hours are from 8:30 am to 1:00 pm.
- Designing and Coding with Minecraft for grades K-2 and 3-7 is offered at the Lovett School and the Museum of Design Atlanta. For grades K-2, work hours are from 8:30 am to1:00 pm. For grades 3-7, work hours are from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm.
- Architectural Design with Minecraft for grades 3-7 is offered at the Georgia Tech College of Design. Work hours are from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm.
*Additional information is available on the MODA website here.
Enjoys working with children
Has demonstrated experience working at camps or in other children’s educational or recreational settings
Has demonstrated interest in the subject matter of the camp
Has the ability to teach and lead various recreational activities
Demonstrates excellent character, integrity and adaptability
Is able to communicate clearly while working with children of various ages and skill levels
Has the desire and ability to work in a cooperative, team-oriented atmosphere
Has enthusiasm, patience and self-control
Is a team player and is able to work productively with a group of peers while also receiving guidance and leadership from an authority figure
Passes the GA State run background check
Takes responsibility for the health, well-being and happiness of campers
Recognizes and responds to opportunities for group problem solving
Provides opportunities for the group so that each individual experiences success
Encourages respect for personal property, camp equipment and facilities
Sets a good example for campers in all areas, including cleanliness, punctuality, clean-up chores, rules, and sportsmanship
Guides campers in participating successfully in all aspects of camp activities
Actively assists the Camp Director and participates in all aspects of the campers’ days
Observes camper behavior, assesses its appropriateness, enforces safety regulations and emergency procedures
Attends training sessions and camp orientation held in March through May
Meets/communicates as necessary with Camp Director regarding concerns, updates, challenges
Submits all required paperwork on time
Complete campMODA Camp Counselor application
Secure one letter of recommendation from a teacher, coach, or non-familial adult
Submit completed application and refer all questions to MODA’s Education Coordinator, Blair Banks, at email@example.com.
Education & Programming Assistant
The Education & Programming Assistant is responsible for activating MODA planning, implementing, and assisting with education and adult programs and for administrating volunteer participation in public programs and education.
For a full job description, click here. Please submit a letter of introduction and resume to Clare Timmerman, Assistant Director, firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone inquiries please.
Every summer campMODA offers a variety of STEAM camps that use tools such as Minecraft, LEGO robotics, Design Thinking and littleBits circuitry sets, and more. Our camps are week-long camps and are either full or half day at different locations around Atlanta. We are looking for qualified teachers and professionals to lead various camps over the summer.
- Implement the camp program for each week and insure its quality.
- Collaborate with the Director of Education to create a weekly curriculum that will challenge each student in their knowledge of the subject matter of the camp
- Ensure all campers specific needs are being met, especially students with special needs.
- Create challenging activity modifications for more advanced campers.
- Supervise camper drop-off and pick-up.
- Direct campers throughout the daily schedule.
- Communicate with parents to ensure all concerns are addressed.
- Handle any emergencies that might arise in the course of a day.
- Ensure that campers with special dietary or medical needs are accommodated.
- Use classroom management strategies to maintain a respectful environment.
- Ensure that campers receive individual attention.
- Ensure that each camper’s knowledge of the subject matter of the camp progresses over the course of their week.
- Create a positive and fun learning environment for each camper.
- Supervise the camp staff of 4 to 6 high school and college-aged counselors.
- (Staff-student ratio is usually 1:4)
- Assist with pre- and post-assessments and evaluations of students and counselors
- Interested applicants must hold at a minimum an Associate’s Degree in a related field. Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
- Applicant must have a specific body of knowledge related to one or more of the subjects being taught in the camp
- Experience teaching and/or working with children.
- Knowledge of or experience in creating and implementing a curriculum
- Ability to supervise staff and campers
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to exercise good judgment and discretion, a high level of confidentiality, and professionalism.
- Sensitivity to respond appropriately to the needs of a diverse population.
- Monday through Friday, 8:30am to 1:00pm or 8:30 to 4:30pm depending upon the camp
- Duration: One week-long camp and several orientations at the beginning of the summer
Salary: This position is contractual, thus pay is commensurate with qualifications and experience
Apply: Please submit a letter of introduction and resume to email@example.com
No phone inquiries please.