MODA + The Arthur M. Blank YMCA
MODA was in residence at the Arthur M. Blank YMCA from 2015 through 2016 to collaborate with the YMCA's program staff in offering after school programs to introduce youth to using the video game Minecraft as a design tool. MODA's Design Thinking and Innovation Educators led a six-week session for YMCA kids teaching Design Thinking and STEAM skills through architectural design in Minecraft!
Over the course of six weeks, YMCA students learned:
- how Minecraft can be used as a design tool
- collaborative work skills important for working well in teams
- how to use Design Thinking to build empathy and solve problems
- how Minecraft interfaces with other computer-aided design (CAD) programs
- how to 3D print a Minecraft creation and bring it into the real world
- and much more!
In the course of MODA's residency at the Arthur M. Blank YMCA, we also trained YMCA staff to lead this program so that they can continue to replicate and offer it once the our residency came to a close.