Adults and families are invited to join the MODA staff for tours of our current exhibitions, Beautiful Users: Designing for People and On You: Wearing Technology, followed by an informal tinkering session. Learn about the ways designers and users interact with one another in ourBeautiful Users exhibition and about the history of wearable technology in On You. After your tour, stop by the Design Bar in MODA’s lobby.
On an hour tour, expect to:
- Interact with a human-scale measurement system, which aids in design for children, the elderly, the differently abled, and people of diverse height
- View objects designed for comfort and function, ranging from Dreyfuss’s Princess telephone to Amos Winter’s Leveraged Freedom wheelchair
- Experience revenge of the user through Diller Scofidio + Renfro’s Roomba Cam, which repurposes the household gadget for surveillance purposes
- Analyze the challenges along the road to making a consumer wearable computer
- Observe virtual versus augmented reality
- We want you to leave with new stories and memories! So, we encourage you bring your smartphone and/or digital camera on our tour.
Until 4pm, you’ll be able to try your hand at making some simple wearable tech that you can take home. You’ll use LED lights and coin cell batteries to craft a piece of jewelry, embellish something you’re already wearing, or create something entirely of your own invention.
Upcoming Tour & Tinker Dates:
Tours on Demand
Docent-led tours are available for groups of 5 to 20 by appointment (for K-8 students, please see our information on Field Trips).
Cost is $10 per person, $8 per person for MODA members. Groups of 10 or more are eligible for the reduced rate of $8 per person.
Wine & Design Tour with the Museum Director
Enjoy an extra special visit to MODA by booking a Group Tour with the Museum’s engaging director, Laura Flusche, Ph.D. You will be welcomed with a glass of wine and guided through the Museum’s current exhibition.
Cost is $50/person.