Architectural Design with Minecraft (Rising 4th to 8th Grade)
Want to be an architect? Love playing Minecraft? Bring these two passions together with MODA’s Architectural Design with Minecraft camp.
Camper architects will be commissioned to design a building on the The Lovett School campus. They’ll learn how the building will function, study the site, and work collaboratively to brainstorm ideas for a structure that fulfills needs and responds to its environment. They’ll also learn and follow basic design processes used in architecture to design a future-forward, human-centered structure.
Using computer-aided design programs — Minecraft, SketchUp, and Tinkercad — they’ll work in teams to design a building and bring it to life. They’ll be challenged to consider a wide variety of variables such as aesthetics, sustainability, construction materials, and user experience as they build. They’ll design the building’s exterior appearance, as well as its interior features, and use Minecraft’s Redstone functionality to provide power and light as needed. Over the course of the week, campers will learn about innovative architects, study famous structures, and practice sketching buildings they see and imagine.
Throughout the week campers will be introduced to design thinking, architectural design, and the engineering design processes. Campers will also learn how to export their buildings from Minecraft to be 3D printed as study and presentation models. They will develop an understanding of how science, technology, engineering, the arts, and mathematics play a crucial part in designing a building.
At the end of the week, campers will present the buildings they’ve designed to parents and subject experts who will ask questions and provide feedback.
- Develop skills in Computer-Aided Design (CAD) programs
- Learn about and practice technical sketching
- Learn to use Minecraft as a design tool
- Use CAD programs to create simple solids and complex figures
- Be introduced to 3D printing
- Improve 3D printing skills
- Build empathy through understanding user needs
- Develop design and engineering skills
- Build skills to improve collaboration in teams
- Develop and exhibit creativity and innovation through their respective designs
- Learn how to create design briefs and present them to a client
While we provide a computer for each participant, many campers express the desire to share designs they’ve already created. As long as they feel comfortable ensuring the safety of their devices, young designers are welcome to bring the portable electronics they use to play Minecraft.
This is a week long camp for 4th to 8th grade students that runs from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. daily. This camp is being held at The Lovett School, 4075 Paces Ferry Rd NW, Atlanta, GA 30327.
Tuition: $495 ($100 non-refundable registration fee + $395 tuition)
REGISTRATION OPENS JANUARY 11, 2018.
MODA Members receive a 10% discount and should contact MODA at 404.979.6455 prior to registration to receive the discount code.
Children of Lovett faculty receive a 10% discount and should contact Marc Mallet at 404.262.3032 prior to registration to receive the discount code. Note that this is the only faculty discount for this camp.
Please note: Camp member discounts apply only to MODA Sustaining Membership levels beginning at $8/month or $96/year and above. For more information about memberships or to join, visit museumofdesign.org/membership/ or contact email@example.com.
Exemption Notice: This program is not licensed by Bright from the Start: Georgia Department of Early Care and Learning and is not required to be licensed. Bright from the Start does not regulate or routinely inspect this program. For additional information, go to www.decal.ga.gov or call 404.657.5562
Minimum Enrollment: Should the program you request not meet a minimum enrollment, you will be contacted at least one month prior to the start of your camp session.
Food Allergies: Should campMODA need a food allergy action plan for your camper, please contact the camp administrator at campMODA@museumofdesign.org.
Special Needs: Campers with learning differences and behavioral needs are welcome at campMODA! Please contact Blair Banks at 404.979.6455 so that we can have a conversation and discuss your camper’s unique potential, and how to best celebrate their strengths and accommodate their challenges.
Once campMODA confirms your camper's enrollment:
- Registrations that are cancelled 2 weeks prior to the start of the session will result in a refund of the amount paid minus the $100 non-refundable registration fee (Amount paid - $100 non-refundable registration fee = Refund).
- No refunds will be available for cancellations less than 2 weeks prior to the start of the session.
- If you have any last minute emergencies, do not hesitate to contact MODA's Education Coordinator at campMODA@museumofdesign.org or 404.979.6455 so that we can discuss the best options for you and your camper.