Architectural Design with Minecraft (Rising 5th to 9th Grade)
Want to be an architect? Love playing Minecraft? Bring these two passions together with MODA’s Architectural Design with Minecraft camp!
Camper architects will be commissioned to design a building on the Georgia Tech campus. They’ll learn how the building will function, study its site, and work collaboratively to brainstorm ideas for a structure that fulfills needs and responds to its environment. Campers will also learn and follow basic design processes used in architecture to design future-forward, human-centered structures.
Throughout the week, campers will use the Georgia Tech campus as a classroom. Each day campers will visit buildings with historical and architectural interest. They’ll learn to observe and critique aspects of a building concept and design. From unique vantage points, campers will study and sketch the Atlanta skyline learning to draw what they see and strengthen their abilities to innovate. Campers will tour the College of Design, meet architecture professors, and have opportunities to discuss their ideas with them. Campers will also learn about innovative architects and famous structures.
Using computer-aided design programs — Minecraft, SketchUp, and Tinkercad — they’ll work in teams to design a building and bring it to life. They’ll be challenged to consider a wide variety of variables such as aesthetics, sustainability, construction materials, and user experience as they build. They’ll design the building’s exterior appearance, as well as its interior features, and use Minecraft’s Redstone functionality to provide power and light as needed. Over the course of the week, campers will learn about innovative architects, study famous structures, and practice sketching buildings they see and imagine.
Throughout the week campers will be introduced to design thinking, architectural design, and the engineering design processes. Campers will also learn how to export their buildings from Minecraft to be 3D printed as study and presentation models. They will develop an understanding of how science, technology, engineering, the arts, and mathematics play a crucial part in designing a building.
At the end of the week, campers will present the buildings they’ve designed to parents and subject experts who will ask questions and provide feedback.
- Develop skills in Computer-Aided Design (CAD) programs
- Learn about and practice technical sketching
- Learn to use Minecraft as a design tool
- Use CAD programs to create simple solids and complex figures
- Be introduced to 3D printing
- Improve 3D printing skills
- Build empathy through understanding user needs
- Develop design and engineering skills
- Build skills to improve collaboration in teams
- Develop and exhibit creativity and innovation through their respective designs
- Learn how to create design briefs and present them to a client
This is a week long camp for 5th to 9th grade students that runs from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. daily. This camp is being held at Georgia Tech's College of Design, 245 4th St NW, Atlanta, GA 30332.
Tuition: MODA Members: $445 / Non-Members: $495
Please note: Camp member discounts apply only to MODA Sustaining Membership levels beginning at $8/month or $96/year and above. For more information about memberships or to join, visit museumofdesign.org/membership/ or contact email@example.com.
Exemption Notice: This program is not licensed by Bright from the Start: Georgia Department of Early Care and Learning and is not required to be licensed. Bright from the Start does not regulate or routinely inspect this program. For additional information, go to www.decal.ga.gov or call 404.657.5562
Minimum Enrollment: Should the program you request not meet a minimum enrollment, you will be contacted at least one month prior to the start of your camp session.
Food Allergies: Should campMODA need a food allergy action plan for your camper, please contact the camp administrator at campMODA@museumofdesign.org.
Special Needs: Campers with learning differences and behavioral needs are welcome at campMODA! Please contact Blair Banks at 404.979.6455 so that we can have a conversation and discuss your camper’s unique potential, and how to best celebrate their strengths and accommodate their challenges.
Once campMODA confirms your camper's enrollment:
- Registrations that are cancelled 2 weeks prior to the start of the session will result in a refund of the amount paid minus the $100 non-refundable registration fee (Amount paid - $100 non-refundable registration fee = Refund).
- No refunds will be available for cancellations less than 2 weeks prior to the start of the session.
- If you have any last minute emergencies, do not hesitate to contact MODA's Education Coordinator at campMODA@museumofdesign.org or 404.979.6455 so that we can discuss the best options for you and your camper.