Design like an Engineer: Project Playground 2.0 (Rising K to 2nd Grade)
Want to design the ultimate playground? How about adding robotics into the mix? Learn all this and more at MODA’s Design like an Engineer: Project Playground 2.0 camp!
Bring your wacky and daring ideas to life as we design for others all week-long. Acting as budding detectives and empathetic designers, campers will investigate the First Presbyterian Preschool playground as a newly designed playscape. Through active observations and hands-on experiences, campers will compare and contrast this particular playground with others they have encountered in the past.
Working collaboratively in design teams, they will create blueprints for the playground of the future (Playground 2.0), while learning to consider users needs and interests. To build, campers will use low-fi materials, along with construction sets like K’Nex and LEGO bricks to prototype their designs. Using sensors and motors from the LEGO WeDo kits, campers will create more advanced prototypes of playground equipment and fixtures that move and interact with the environment. In addition, they will learn the basic principles of programming and coding.
At the end of the week, parents and guardians are invited to visit the campMODA Project Playground 2.0 Expo located within the camp room.
Skills campers will learn:
- Basic robotic engineering
- Programming principles using WeDo software
- Creative confidence
- Fine-motor skills
- Design thinking, highlighting empathy, ideation, and prototyping
- Science, technology, engineering, arts, math and design concepts
This is a week long camp for rising K - 2nd grade students that runs from 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. daily. This camp is being held at First Presbyterian, 1328 Peachtree St NW, Atlanta, GA 30309.
Tuition: MODA Members: $225 / Non-Members: $250
Please note: Camp member discounts apply only to MODA Sustaining Membership levels beginning at $8/month or $96/year and above. For more information about memberships or to join, visit museumofdesign.org/membership/ or contact email@example.com.
Exemption Notice: This program is not licensed by Bright from the Start: Georgia Department of Early Care and Learning and is not required to be licensed. Bright from the Start does not regulate or routinely inspect this program. For additional information, go to www.decal.ga.gov or call 404.657.5562
Minimum Enrollment: Should the program you request not meet a minimum enrollment, you will be contacted at least one month prior to the start of your camp session.
Food Allergies: Should campMODA need a food allergy action plan for your camper, please contact the camp administrator at campMODA@museumofdesign.org.
Special Needs: Campers with learning differences and behavioral needs are welcome at campMODA! Please contact Blair Banks at 404.979.6455 so that we can have a conversation and discuss your camper’s unique potential, and how to best celebrate their strengths and accommodate their challenges.
Once campMODA confirms your camper's enrollment:
- Registrations that are cancelled 2 weeks prior to the start of the session will result in a refund of the amount paid minus the $100 non-refundable registration fee (Amount paid - $100 non-refundable registration fee = Refund).
- No refunds will be available for cancellations less than 2 weeks prior to the start of the session.
- If you have any last minute emergencies, do not hesitate to contact MODA's Education Coordinator at campMODA@museumofdesign.org or 404.979.6455 so that we can discuss the best options for you and your camper.