Designing & Coding with Minecraft (Rising 3rd – 6th Grade)
Can’t get enough Minecraft? Curious how to take your gaming skills to the next level? MODA’s Designing & Coding with Minecraft camp will challenge campers to use Minecraft as a computer design tool and to collaborate using the design process. Campers will learn about Minecraft servers, an integral part of the Minecraft community that allows users to collaborate and build worlds together.
This camp will delve into Minecraft’s expanding horizons, challenging campers to learn the steps necessary to create 3D CAD models of Minecraft structures, to use command blocks that teach coding, to learn different aspects of a Minecraft server, and to experiment with Redstone circuitry (a building tool which is used to activate or control mechanisms in Minecraft). Campers will create their own texture packs and mods. Campers will study mini-games and collaborate in teams to design their own games on MODA’s safe, multiplayer Minecraft server.
Along the way campers will test their designs with each other, as they use design-thinking to improve their user experiences. At the end of camp, each team will present their designs to guardians and friends.
- Learn to use Minecraft as a design tool
- Design texture packs and mods
- Gain familiarity with Minecraft servers
- Design and test mini-games
- Learn to use computer-aided design programs
- Learn about and use command block coding
- Learn about and use Redstone circuitry
- Learn about Minecraft servers
- Practice design thinking as a problem-solving method
- Discover alternative ways to use and create with Minecraft
MODA will provide a computer with the necessary software for each camper. This camp is for rising 3rd to 6th grade students and provides a great foundation for Advanced Minecraft camps and Architectural Design with Minecraft.
This is a week long camp that runs from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. daily. This camp is being held at The Lovett School, 4075 Paces Ferry Rd NW, Atlanta, GA 30327.
Tuition: $495 ($100 non-refundable registration fee + $395 tuition)
REGISTRATION OPENS JANUARY 11.
MODA Members receive a 10% discount and should contact MODA at 404.979.6455 prior to registration to receive the discount code.
Children of Lovett faculty receive a 10% discount and should contact Marc Mallet at 404.262.3032 prior to registration to receive the discount code. Note that this is the only faculty discount for this camp.
Please note: Camp member discounts apply only to MODA Sustaining Membership levels beginning at $8/month or $96/year and above. For more information about memberships or to join, visit museumofdesign.org/membership/ or contact email@example.com.
Exemption Notice: This program is not licensed by Bright from the Start: Georgia Department of Early Care and Learning and is not required to be licensed. Bright from the Start does not regulate or routinely inspect this program. For additional information, go to www.decal.ga.gov or call 404.657.5562
Minimum Enrollment: Should the program you request not meet a minimum enrollment, you will be contacted at least one month prior to the start of your camp session.
Food Allergies: Should campMODA need a food allergy action plan for your camper, please contact the camp administrator at campMODA@museumofdesign.org.
Special Needs: Campers with learning differences and behavioral needs are welcome at campMODA! Please contact Blair Banks at 404.979.6455 so that we can have a conversation and discuss your camper’s unique potential, and how to best celebrate their strengths and accommodate their challenges.
Once campMODA confirms your camper's enrollment:
- Registrations that are cancelled 2 weeks prior to the start of the session will result in a refund of the amount paid minus the $100 non-refundable registration fee (Amount paid - $100 non-refundable registration fee = Refund).
- No refunds will be available for cancellations less than 2 weeks prior to the start of the session.
- If you have any last minute emergencies, do not hesitate to contact MODA's Education Coordinator at campMODA@museumofdesign.org or 404.979.6455 so that we can discuss the best options for you and your camper.