Crafting Change: Design Camp for Activists (Rising 8th to 11th Grade)
Are you passionate about making the world a better place? Interested in Craftivism? Discover the ways in which activism and design collide this summer at MODA’s Crafting Change: Design Camp for Young Activists!
Craftivism is a worldwide movement that operates at the intersection of craft and activism. From yarn bombs to protest quilts, people around the world have become engaged citizens through craft. Accessible to all and embracing each person's voice, craftivism allows expression across a wide variety of mediums.
Armed with hoops, needles, floss, glue guns, and more, and guided by their own vision of the world, teen crafters will use their hands and minds to design calls to action for local and global social justice causes. Participants will explore a wide range of craftivism types, from private to public-facing, learn about different crafting mediums, and then work together to create a public-facing craftivism design.
- Learn different ways to turn their passion into action, from private to public-facing
- Build capacity to be active and engaged designer-citizens
- Learn practical skills, from sewing basics to the design process
- Learn graphic and interaction design basics through project-based models, increasing effective communication
- Balance both functionality and creativity within their designs
- Work together to design craftivist projects
- Expand skills with a variety of design tools and materials
This is a week-long camp for rising 8th to 11th grade students that runs from 9 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. daily. This camp is being held at MODA, 1315 Peachtree St. NE Atlanta, GA 30309.
Tuition: MODA Members: $225 / Non-Members: $250
Please note: Camp member discounts apply only to MODA Sustaining Membership levels beginning at $8/month or $96/year and above. For more information about memberships or to join, visit museumofdesign.org/membership/ or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Exemption Notice: This program is not licensed by Bright from the Start: Georgia Department of Early Care and Learning and is not required to be licensed. Bright from the Start does not regulate or routinely inspect this program. For additional information, go to www.decal.ga.gov or call 404.657.5562
Minimum Enrollment: Should the program you request not meet a minimum enrollment, you will be contacted at least one month prior to the start of your camp session.
Food Allergies: Should campMODA need a food allergy action plan for your camper, please contact the camp administrator at campMODA@museumofdesign.org.
Special Needs: Campers with learning differences and behavioral needs are welcome at campMODA! Please contact Blair Banks at 404.979.6455 so that we can have a conversation and discuss your camper’s unique potential, and how to best celebrate their strengths and accommodate their challenges.
Once campMODA confirms your camper's enrollment:
- Registrations that are cancelled 2 weeks prior to the start of the session will result in a refund of the amount paid minus the $100 non-refundable registration fee (Amount paid - $100 non-refundable registration fee = Refund).
- No refunds will be available for cancellations less than 2 weeks prior to the start of the session.
- If you have any last minute emergencies, do not hesitate to contact MODA's Education Coordinator at campMODA@museumofdesign.org or 404.979.6455 so that we can discuss the best options for you and your camper.