Advanced Designing & Coding with Minecraft (Rising 5th – 9th Grade)
Already an experienced Minecraft designer who is looking for a challenge? Love playing on the big servers like Hypixel and Mineplex? Our Advanced Designing & Coding with Minecraft camp will challenge experienced Minecraft designers to take their skills to the next level. This camp is for rising 5th to 9th Graders who have participated in MODA’s Designing & Coding with Minecraft camp previously.
Advanced Designing & Coding with Minecraft will challenge campers to design and manage their own multiplayer server and improve on design skills necessary for computer sciences, branding, UX, game design and more. They’ll learn about different types of servers and their hosting. They will design lobbies and use command blocks and redstone circuitry to link users to other parts of the server. While designing their servers, campers will practice design thinking — a problem-solving, user-driven tool to build empathy and creativity.
Design teams will design and create texture packs and mods for their servers. They’ll choose the maps and install the plugins, like WorldEdit, that they need to create camper-driven servers that take their skills to a new level. They’ll complete design challenges to create and import 3D CAD models for massive Minecraft structures. Along the way campers will test their designs with each other, as they use design-thinking to improve their user experiences. At the end of camp, each team will present their designs to guardians and friends.
- Strengthen their use of Minecraft as a design tool
- Design texture packs and mods
- Gain familiarity with Minecraft servers
- Create a multiplayer server from scratch
- Choose, install, and use plugins
- Design and test mini-games
- Learn to use computer-aided design programs
- Learn about and use command block coding
- Learn about and use redstone circuitry
- Practice design thinking as a problem-solving method
- Discover alternative ways to use and create with Minecraft
- Practice Boolean Logic
While we provide a computer for each participant, many campers express the desire to share designs they’ve already created. As long as they feel comfortable ensuring the safety of their devices, young designers are welcome to bring the portable electronics they use to play Minecraft.
This camp is for rising 5th to 9th grader students who have participated in MODA’s Designing & Coding with Minecraft either earlier this summer or in previous years.
This is a week long camp that runs from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. daily. This camp is being held at The Lovett School, 4075 Paces Ferry Rd NW, Atlanta, GA 30327.
Tuition: $495 ($100 non-refundable registration fee + $395 tuition)
REGISTRATION OPENS JANUARY 11
MODA Members receive a 10% discount and should contact MODA at 404.979.6455 prior to registration to receive the discount code.
Children of Lovett faculty receive a 10% discount and should contact Marc Mallet at 404.262.3032 prior to registration to receive the discount code. Note that this is the only faculty discount for this camp.
Please note: Camp member discounts apply only to MODA Sustaining Membership levels beginning at $8/month or $96/year and above. For more information about memberships or to join, visit museumofdesign.org/membership/ or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Exemption Notice: This program is not licensed by Bright from the Start: Georgia Department of Early Care and Learning and is not required to be licensed. Bright from the Start does not regulate or routinely inspect this program. For additional information, go to www.decal.ga.gov or call 404.657.5562
Minimum Enrollment: Should the program you request not meet a minimum enrollment, you will be contacted at least one month prior to the start of your camp session.
Food Allergies: Should campMODA need a food allergy action plan for your camper, please contact the camp administrator at campMODA@museumofdesign.org.
Special Needs: Campers with learning differences and behavioral needs are welcome at campMODA! Please contact Blair Banks at 404.979.6455 so that we can have a conversation and discuss your camper’s unique potential, and how to best celebrate their strengths and accommodate their challenges.
Once campMODA confirms your camper's enrollment:
- Registrations that are cancelled 2 weeks prior to the start of the session will result in a refund of the amount paid minus the $100 non-refundable registration fee (Amount paid - $100 non-refundable registration fee = Refund).
- No refunds will be available for cancellations less than 2 weeks prior to the start of the session.
- If you have any last minute emergencies, do not hesitate to contact MODA's Education Coordinator at campMODA@museumofdesign.org or 404.979.6455 so that we can discuss the best options for you and your camper.