Designing & Coding with Minecraft (Rising 3rd – 7th Grade)
Can’t get enough of Minecraft? Curious how to take your gaming skills to the next level? Our Designing with Minecraft camp is a unique opportunity to design a world within Minecraft and be a part of shaping the game that everybody loves to play.
This camp will delve into Minecraft’s expanding horizons, challenging campers to learn the steps necessary to create 3D CAD models of Minecraft structures, to use command blocks that teach coding, and to experiment with Redstone circuitry (a building tool which is used to activate or control mechanisms in Minecraft).
Campers will also learn about Minecraft servers, an integral part of the Minecraft community that allows users to collaborate and build worlds together. MODA has its own Minecraft server, so campers will be investigating the physical design of the server and learning about different types of servers and their hosting as they work together to create a safe multiplayer experience for all ages that focuses on design in its many forms, including architecture, urban design, and industrial design. While designing in the server, campers will practice design thinking — a problem-solving, user-driven tool to build empathy and creativity.
- Gain familiarity with Minecraft servers
- Learn about and use command block coding
- Learn about and use redstone circuitry
- Become familiar with Blockly, a coding language
- Learn about mods in Minecraft
- Practice Boolean Logic
- Finess their math skills
- Become better keyboarders
- Practice design thinking as a problem-solving method
- Discover alternative ways to use and create with Minecraft
While we provide a computer for each participant, many campers express the desire to share designs they’ve already created. As long as they feel comfortable ensuring the safety of their devices, young designers are welcome to bring the portable electronics they use to play Minecraft.
This camp is for rising 3rd to 6th Graders.
$225 / $250 for non-members.
Please note: Camp member discounts apply only to MODA Family Membership levels beginning at $8/month or $96/year and above. For more information about memberships or to join MODA you can visit us online at http://museumofdesign.org/membership/ or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
This program is not licensed by Bright from the Start: Georgia Department of Early Care and Learning and is not required to be licensed. Bright from the Start does not regulate or routinely inspect this program.
Please note: Based on demand, all programs may not be available all weeks. Should the program you request not meet a minimum enrollment, you will be contacted at least a month before your camp session. Should campMODA need a food allergy action plan for your camper, please contact the camp administrator by calling 404.856.5962 or emailing campMODA@museumofdesign.org.
Campers with learning differences and behavioral needs are welcome at campMODA! We do ask that you please call Blair Banks at 404.979.6455 so that we can have a conversation and discuss your camper’s unique potential, and how to best celebrate their strengths and accommodate their challenges.
Based on demand, campMODA sessions may not be available all weeks. Should the camp you request not meet a minimum enrollment, you will be contacted at least a month before your camp session. Once campMODA confirms your camper's enrollment:
- Registrations that are cancelled 2 weeks prior to the start of the session will result in a refund of the amount paid minus the $100 non-refundable registration fee (Amount paid - $100 non-refundable registration fee = Refund).
- No refunds will be available for cancellations less than 2 weeks prior to the start of the session.
- If you have any last minute emergencies, do not hesitate to contact MODA's Education Coordinator, Blair Banks at email@example.com or 404.979.6455 so that we can discuss the best options for you and your camper.