Designing & Coding with Minecraft for 8 – 12 Year Olds
Can’t get enough of Minecraft? Curious how to take your gaming skills to the next level? campMODA’s Designing with Minecraft camp is a unique opportunity to design a world within Minecraft and be a part of shaping the game that everybody loves to play.
This camp will delve into Minecraft’s expanding horizons, challenging campers to learn the steps necessary to create 3D CAD models of Minecraft structures, to use command blocks that teach coding, to learn different aspects of a Minecraft server and to experiment with Redstone circuitry (a building tool which is used to activate or control mechanisms in Minecraft).
Minecraft servers are an integral part of the Minecraft community and allow users to collaborate and build worlds together. This summer, campers will have the opportunity to design in MODA’s Minecraft server. We will investigate the physical design of the server and learn about different types of servers and their hosting. We will work to create a safe multiplayer experience for all ages that focuses on design in its many forms -- architecture, urban design, and industrial design. By designing in the server, campers will use design thinking -- a problem-solving user-driven tool to build empathy and creativity.
- Gain familiarity with Minecraft servers
- Learn about and use command block coding
- Learn about and use redstone circuitry
- Become familiar with Blockly, a coding language
- Learn about mods in Minecraft
- Practice Boolean Logic
- Finess their math skills
- Become better keyboarders
- Practice design thinking as a problem-solving method
- Discover alternative ways to use and create with Minecraft
While we provide a computer for each participant, many campers express the desire to share designs they’ve already created. As long as they feel comfortable ensuring the safety of their devices, young designers are welcome to bring the portable electronics they use to play Minecraft.
Tuition: Weeklong camp MODA sessions (5 days) cost $495 ($100 non-refundable registration fee + $395 tuition).
Grades: Rising 3rd - 7th Graders (8 to 12 years old)
MODA Members receive a 10% discount and should contact MODA at 404.979.6455 prior to registration to receive the discount code. For more information about memberships or to join MODA you can visit us online at http://museumofdesign.org/membership/ or email us email@example.com
Children of Lovett faculty receive a 10% discount and should contact Marc Mallet at 404.262.3032 prior to registration to receive the discount code. Note that this is the only faculty discount for this camp..
PLEASE NOTE: Based on demand, all programs may NOT be available all weeks. Should the program you request not meet a minimum enrollment, you will be contacted at least a month before your camp session.
Should campMODA need a food allergy action plan for your camper, please contact the camp administrator. Please identify any behavior issues or special education needs. We reserve the right to decide if such behavioral issues are appropriate for campMODA.
Contact campMODA with any questions by calling 404.979.6455 or emailing campMODA@museumofdesign.org.
Based on demand, campMODA sessions may not be available all weeks. Should the camp you request not meet a minimum enrollment, you will be contacted at least a month before your camp session. Once campMODA confirms your camper's enrollment:
- Registrations that are cancelled 2 weeks prior to the start of the session will result in a refund of the amount paid minus the $100 non-refundable registration fee (Amount paid - $100 non-refundable registration fee = Refund).
- No refunds will be available for cancellations less than 2 weeks prior to the start of the session.
- If you have any last minute emergencies, do not hesitate to contact MODA's Education Coordinator, Blair Banks at firstname.lastname@example.org or 404.979.6455 so that we can discuss the best options for you and your camper.