Robot Revolution: Design-Build Challenges with LEGO Robotics for Rising 3rd - 7th Graders
Start a revolution! Change the world! Imagine designing and building a robot that solves a real-world problem.
In this camp, participants will learn the basics of LEGO Robotics (or build on the knowledge they already have). Then they’ll use their skills to build robots that can take on real-world problems — both those posed by campMODA instructors and those that campers find important and inspiring.
Campers will learn to adopt design and engineering mindsets as they work through the complexities of real-world challenges. They’ll brainstorm robotic solutions, design and build prototypes, test their creations, and refine them based on the results they get. Along the way, they’ll learn principles of design, engineering, and robotics, while also learning to code with Common Palette block coding.
Campers will work both individually and in teams. By the time the week ends, they’ll be thinking like designers and be empowered to keep tackling challenges they see in the world around them.
- Adopt designer mindsets and practice design thinking as a problem-solving methodology
- Become familiar with and/or expand their familiarity with LEGO robotics
- Develop design and engineering skills
- Develop sophisticated programming
- Learn to transition from block coding to script coding languages
- Work as teams on collaborative projects
- Develop creative confidence
Meet the Director:
Dr. Theresa Yarbrough is an Atlanta native. She is currently employed by Lovejoy High School where she spearheads the computer science magnet theme school, teaches business and computer education, and serves as the work-based learning coordinator. Theresa believes in hard work and dedication and is a firm believer in STEM/STEAM. Theresa holds a BA in economics and business from Agnes Scott College, an MBA from Keller Graduate School of Management, and an Ed.D in Instructional Leadership from Argosy University.Theresa is a mother of two beautiful children. She is passionate about football and is a former two-time All-American female professional football player.
Weeklong camp MODA sessions (5 days) cost $495 ($100 non-refundable registration fee + $395 tuition).
Grades: Rising 3rd-7th graders (8 to 12 years old)
MODA Members receive a 10% discount and should contact MODA at 404.979.6455 prior to registration to receive the discount code. For more information about memberships or to join MODA you can visit us online at http://museumofdesign.org/membership/ or email us email@example.com
Children of Lovett faculty receive a 10% discount and should contact Marc Mallet at 404.262.3032 prior to registration to receive the discount code. Note that this is the only faculty discount for this camp.
Based on demand, all programs may NOT be available all weeks. Should the program you request not meet a minimum enrollment, you will be contacted at least a month before your camp session.
Should campMODA need a food allergy action plan for your camper, please contact the camp administrator. Please identify any behavior issues or special education needs. We reserve the right to decide if such behavioral issues are appropriate for campMODA.
Contact campMODA with any questions by calling 404.979.6455 or emailing campMODA@museumofdesign.org.
Based on demand, campMODA sessions may not be available all weeks. Should the camp you request not meet a minimum enrollment, you will be contacted at least a month before your camp session. Once campMODA confirms your camper's enrollment:
- Registrations that are cancelled 2 weeks prior to the start of the session will result in a refund of the amount paid minus the $100 non-refundable registration fee (Amount paid - $100 non-refundable registration fee = Refund).
- No refunds will be available for cancellations less than 2 weeks prior to the start of the session.
- If you have any last minute emergencies, do not hesitate to contact MODA's Education Coordinator, Blair Banks at firstname.lastname@example.org or 404.979.6455 so that we can discuss the best options for you and your camper.